A Travellerspoint blog

August 2009

Puerto Lopez and Canoa, Ecuador

Beach Bums!

semi-overcast 28 °C
View South American Summer on BrookesSeb's travel map.

The original plan was to fly back to Brazil, and spend our last couples weeks relaxing on beautiful Brazilian beaches. However, our diminishing funds, and lack of time convinced us that Ecuador would be our best option, one it would be half the cost, and two, it was way closer to Peru and easier to get to! So we got seat sales on flights out of Lima, direct to Guayaquil which is the second biggest city in Ecuador after the capital, Quito. Our early flight meant that we would get into Guayaquil, in enough time to take a bus that same day and arrive in Puerto Lopez. Our hot and humid arrival into Guayaquil was very surprising. Ecuador's economy crashed in 1999 and they were forced to abolish their own currency, the sucre, and take up the American Dollar. Many protest occurred, presidents resigned, yet in the end, the American dollar won out, even if that meant increasing poverty by 60-70%. So we had expected to see poverty everywhere, but when we arrived, all we saw was a beautiful airport and bus station, fancy cars, and a thriving metropolis. They've been putting a lot of money in to Guayaquil, in hopes to make it more attractive to tourist and it's definitely working! Funny enough, all the Ecuadorians we saw were well dressed, and well kept, and seemed to be much more "Americanized" than the last few countries we'd been too, more stylish and up to date. The poverty was definitely not apparent to the touristic eye.

Our flight went smoothly and it was easy to get a bus that cost us all of $4.50 for a 4 hour drive. No air conditioning mind you, and I thought the bus might fall apart, but it got us to Puerto Lopez safely. Puerto Lopez is a small town located right on the beach. There is one strip lined with bamboo restaurants and hostels, and that is pretty much it. It's a small fishing town, known for whale watching which was particularly busy while we were there since it was high season. Whales come up to the equator from the Antarctic to give birth and feed before heading back so there are lots of families swimming around the specific. Since our weather wasn't that great on our second day, we decided that we would take a whale watching tour in. How spectacular!! In all my years, I have done some whale watching, but have never seen anything like this! We ended up following a family, mom, dad and baby, for almost 2 hours. Apparently only males jump, and females are bigger than the males so we were lucky to see that the baby was having a grand time playing in the waves, jumping and doing 360s out of the water, flapping its fins, and singing along, it was amazing. Mom and dad followed along and you could closely see how massive the animals are! They can be 15 m long, and get up to 40 tons! Incredible! So we spent a great afternoon on the boat intrigued by the family of humpbacks and then headed back to relax and have dinner. We only got one day of sun when we arrived, which was nice to relax and enjoy, but we thought we'd take our chances and move more North in hopes of better weather. So our last evening, we went to a unique and traditional Italian restaurant for dinner, heading back to our hostel with our shower curtain for a bathroom door, packed and were ready to catch the first bus in the morning to Canoa.

Canoa, is about 600km north of Puerto Lopez and has one of the widest, and most beautiful beaches in Ecuador. We were excited about what it would bring and so made our way on the crappy bus, stuffed with locals, and everything and anything you wanted to buy. Every stop you made, which was a lot since it wasn't a direct bus (even though they told us that), meant they'd stop on the side of the road to anyone and everyone that needed a ride. At the same time, people, mostly kids, jump on to sell you everything under the sun, from drinks and food, movies and cd's, markers, jewellery and even underwear! It got pretty annoying in the end, since about 6 hours in, we realized that by direct bus, they meant we'd go all around the bay and it would take us almost 3 extra hours to get there. Certainly another test of our patients but we eventually made it at a decent hour, in time at least to find a great hostel on the beach and have dinner while enjoying the waves and sea salt smell. You'd be surprised how warm the Pacific Ocean is near the Equator! It was like a bath, so we made it a habit to go frolicking in the waves almost every day, sometimes twice a day! Again, our weather was mediocre, but usually the clouds cleared away in the afternoon to give us just enough sun for one day! We ended up staying at a hostel called CocoLoco (loco means crazy in Spanish). It was all we needed though, again right on the beach, with hammocks on our balcony overlooking the ocean, with our own private bar. We even had a pet dog, Pino, that always slept on our balcony. Since we spent almost 10 days there, she really took a liking to us. So much so, that she would follow us everywhere, to the beach especially, and protectively bark at anyone getting to close to us! So funny. So our days were spent eating a fabulous breakfast at Cafe Flor every morning, and then heading to the beach or sitting in hammocks. We really enjoyed such a relaxing and wonderful time in this place, where we could swim like dolphins all day, and our only worry was what delicious seafood meal we would eat next! Tough life :) And the seafood was to die for, absolutely mouth-watering with portions to suit a King. We couldnt' ask for more!

Although most days were spent reading our many books and lazing by the water, we decided to take one afternoon and go horse back riding on the beach! How romantic.....or maybe not. It ended up that the owner of the horses (who also ran the hostel) gave us a few tips to control the horses and then let us go on our own. Only in South America! Our horses were so stubborn, mine in particular would only go one way...back home! And in the meantime, Sebastian's horse is getting vertigo from the ocean water and so he has to jump off thinking that the thing is going to fall over. While my horse is trotting as quickly as she can home, it's hopeless to try and get her to turn around to see if everything is ok with Sebastian. Sebastian made it back safely, a mile behind me, even if it wasn't exactly romantic, it made for a good laugh!

But of course, time flies when you're having fun. So before we knew it, I was counting down the hours before I would have to hop back on a bus (this time executivo) and catch my flight out of Guayaquil to Sao Paulo, Brazil. I decided I would leave early to get back and get organized for school. Sebastian on the other hand, decided to stay and use the original flights, and is still enjoying his time in Canoa, before he heads to Lima for a few days and then back to Brazil to catch the flight to Calgary.

So much travelling, in so little time. 3 months is definitely not enough time to do and see everything we would have liked, but we cant' complain. We had wonderful adventure and made memories that will last a life time!

Side Notes*

- The day we arrived at the hostel, the son of the owner was having a Birthday Party, one of the best birthday parties I've ever seen! Puppet show, face painting and even pony rides! Every kids dream!

- While I was waiting to catch my flight, I had a little lunch. There was a little surprise in my lasagne however, a small rock....ummm

-I currently am in Calgary, heading to Edmonton for school. Sebastian will return in the next couple days and is enjoying his time gallivanting around Lima!

Posted by BrookesSeb 07:44 Archived in Ecuador Comments (0)

Arequipa, Nazca, Huacachina and Lima, Peru

The rest of Peru.

sunny 25 °C
View South American Summer on BrookesSeb's travel map.

It´s a long one...

After our wonderful time at Machu Picchu, it was back to cuzco for the day to catch our night bus to Arequipa. Luckily, Kat and Anthony (Auzzies) cancelled there white water rafting trip and we were able to meet up for lunch. So a nice afternoon before getting on the 10 hour bus journey to Arequipa. The trip itself wasnt´so bad, but the bus was FREEZING. So we bundled up and tried to get some sleep in order to make the best of the following day in Arequipa.

Arequipa is a town, along the coast of Peru and is famous for its 360 days of sun a year! That, and we were getting lower in altitude, meaning even warmer weather! So we got off at the bus station at 6am to find that the tourist information was actually open (that never happens). An eccentric Peruvian man (Pichine) was kind enough to give us some direction, both about the Canyon tour and hostels. He of course talked up his own hostel, and said it was just like home! Sounded great to us, after having little sleep and in desperate need of a shower. So we arrived to the beautiful bright hostel and former home, and relaxed in the hammocks on the balcony before enjoying some breakfast with the other guests. We spent the rest of the day, walking around the volcanic city! The small city is surrounded by 3 large, 1 being active, volcanoes! Very beautiful, and so most buildings, including the gorgeous cathedral is made of the white volcanic rock. After searching a bit, we decided on a Colca Canyon tour that would be leaving the following morning. We then enjoyed the rest of our afternoon at the history museum (another tour in Spanish), had a beautiful dinner with piano music, and went to bed early, to get up for our 3am wake up call.

As per usual, our wake up for 3am was pointless, like most things that are on ´South American¨ time, they`re simply late. So around 4am the tour bus arrived, and with both tour and hikers alike, we made our 4 hour drive to Cruz del Condor. A lovely place where condors float high above the earth using the earths thermal heat waves to gain such heigths. Their wing span is spectacular and Sebastian was able to get some great photos! From there, the 2 day hikers (that was us) were dropped off above the Colca Canyon, one of the deepest in the world, where we would spend 1 day hiking down, spend a night at the Oasis, and the last day hiking up! So about 4 hours, steeply downhill, in the blazing sun, we finally arrived at the first swinging bridge where we could have a quick break, before heading up hill to the small village to have lunch. We finally got a chance to sit, and enjoy the shade, while munching on delicious corn soup, rice and beef. Just a short lunch however, as we were off again, this time across, over and up, and back down the other side of the mountain to arrive at the last swinging bridge, and finally the magnificent Oasis! A beautiful setting, in the river valley with bamboo huts where we would spend the night, along with our own swimming pool, garden and dining area. We certainly wished we had more time in such a relaxing place, we even were in luck with a full moon and a stunning night sky! It couldnt have been better. Except that we knew we´d all be up again at 5am, to do the strenuous hike back up the canyon. Sure enough, our guide, Juan Carlos (more on him later), offered the ladies mules for the uphill hike. We ALL accepted! haha One, I´d never riden a mule before, and two, I`m in Peru, I have to at least ride a mule once, why not up one of the toughest hikes through a Canyon! haha So the girls got a bit of a sleep in since the mules were likely to take less time and the boys, were up at 5am to start their trek.

We were on our mules about 6am, each of which had names. Mine, was George (pronounced Horhey in Spanish), along with Philipe, Lenny, and Joanna. We had quite the laugh, since the male mules kept pushing and biting at each other to be first in line, where as Joanna, the one female, could care less and simply watched the males competing while she trotted behind. Kind of funny, and similar to perhaps...humans? haha Quite the presonalities they had, but they got us up the hill, a bit cramped but happy to have made it! Suprisingly, the guys had made it just a few minutes before we arrived! Very impressive boys! So it was off for breakfast in the village of Chivay. We then hopped back on the bus to make the drive back to Arequipa, but not before stopping at the hot pools! What a lovely way to finish off the trip, and soak our sore muscles! And finally, a yummy buffet lunch, with typical Peruvian food, and a million dishes to choose from! A tired bunch we were when we arrived back in Arequipa, so to our homey hostal in hopes of a good night sleep, but as luck would have it, our snoring roomate made sure that we awoke every hour. Grrr!


The following day we booked a night bus to Nazca, where the famous Nazca lines can be seen, but before heading off we spent our afternoon at the most intriguing monastry in Arequipa. Luckily, we got a tour guide in English for just the two of us, and got detailed explanations of the history and processes of the nuns and novices that lived, and currently live in the monastry. Exceptional, considering it was one of the richest monastries, and only the richest daughters could afford to live there, along with their servants! An incredibly interesting and still beautiful place! Then it was off on the night bus, which wasn´t so cold this time, thank god! and our early 6am arrival in Nazca.


The town of Nazca has nothing but it´s famous Nazca lines. These are drawings, or what look like drawings of animals and other symbolic figures on the desert surface. Its thought that they were used as a sort of agricultural calendar, or in other theories, extra-terrestrial formations (I`m not so sure about this one). So our options were to take an expensive and nauseating flight over them, or get a cheap bus up to the mirador (look-out). We opted for the look-out and through the thick fog and morning sun light we were able to see the tree, the lizard, and the hands. Quite the phenomenon considering they can span up to 100m wide, and still the science behind them is unknown!


We quickly did the archeology museum, before jumping on the next bus to Ica, to catch a taxi to Huacachina. More or a backpacker destination, Huacachina is completely desert and houses some of the largest sand dunes in the world! We were happy to arrive to a beautiful warm place, get a quaint hostel with pool and surrounding hammocks and just relax! Located in the middle of the sand dunes is a small, dirty lagoon that is lined by restaurants, ice cream vendors, and sandboard rental shops. Just the place we needed! We enjoyed the small town, and we´re happy to ge to bed for some much needed sleep. Unfortunately, we were kept awake by an empty bar, and techno music til 4am! Not what we were hoping for. So first thing the next morning was to find a hostal where we could actually get some sleep. We had to pay a bit more, but in the end, it was well worth it. It had an even better pool and lounging area, bar/restaurant and discounted Dune buggy tours! Perfect, so we booked our dune buggy tours for 4pm, which included a 2 hour tour of the dunes, along with some sandboarding, and sunset.

At 4pm, we all organized ourselves inside the 10 man buggy, accessorized with seat belts like you would find on a roller coaster, and started off! This dune buggy wasn`t like any other, since health and safety are a little more ´relaxed´in South America, this thing was nuts! But a great nuts! Up and down, over and around the biggest sand dunes you´ve ever seen, it felt like we were at Disney world! So much fun, and in between rollercoaster rides, we stopped for a quick slide (we decided to slide instead of sand board since its faster) down some more steep, very steep sand dunes! Such a blast!! And just in time for sunset over the multiple dunes, that felt more like somewhere in the middle east, not South America! A great way to spend a couple hours, but a shower and toothbrush were much needed after all that sand!


That evening, we had yummy pizza and pesto pasta, then it was off to bed for FINALLY a good night sleep! We had a lie in, and grabbed the next bus to Lima. About a 6 hour drive, and we would find ourselves in the mecca of it all. In all of our travels, we havent´felt much culture shock, until Lima. We´ve been so used to relaxing, or hiking in small towns, that the big, busy and bustling city of Lima hit us with a jolt! So we were happy to have a nice cozy B&B to hang out after taking a walk around Kennedy park and the main drag. We had a kitchen so could cook a yummy meal, and then it was off bright and early to catch our flight to Ecuador. Beaches here we come!!

  • Side Notes*

-Juan Carlos, our guide in Colca Canyon, was such a huge Canada fan and loved Bryan Adams so much that he had a tatoo of him on his left shoulder! Crazy.
- We had possibly the best donairs ever in Arequipa at a little place called FEZ.

--Pics to come.

Posted by BrookesSeb 16:02 Archived in Peru Comments (0)

Machu Picchu, Peru

A Magical Place!

sunny 20 °C
View South American Summer on BrookesSeb's travel map.

Since we are currently in Peru´s high season, we were told that in order to Hike Waynapicchu, we would need to either get in line early enough to catch the first bus up to the ruins, or hike up on our own, to be there before the first bus. Since both would mean getting up at 3:30 am, we decided that if we were going to get up that early, we would hike up and make sure to get a spot in line. So we awoke in the wee hours of the morning, to find that there were lots of tour groups finishing off their last day (and hardest day) so we wouldn´t be alone, climbing the painful 800 and some stairs in the dark, at an ungodly hour high above sea level. Luckily, the strenuous hike kept us sweating, and so we didn´t have a chance to feel the cold. So about an hour and 10 min (around 5:10 am), got us to the entrance of Machu Picchu. Cheers were had by all! The sun was just coming up, and already, there were over 100 people in line. We were definitely in the first 200 so we knew we`d get our pick up Waynapicchu; the tall mountain overlooking all of the ruins of Machu Picchu, and also the famous mountain in the photos.


So at 6:00am, the doors opened, and there we were, our goal accomplished, running accross the magical city to get in line, once again, for tickets up Wyanapichhu. We made it!! 10am, and we would be on our way up. So we spent the few hours we had in between hikes, marvelling over the sunrise and this astonishing lost city. This place, is truly magical! So peaceful, and it seems as if a sense of calmness simply levitates over the entire area. Encapsulated by four ¨protective¨mountains, the history and theories behind all of it is immense. We decided rather than paying for a tour guide, we would tag along with other groups as they came and went. Easier than we thought, and we got all the details we needed! Absolutely magnificent, it´s not a place you can put in to words, or even in to pictures, it´s a feeling you get when you´re there, Wonderfully Amazing!


So we made what felt like an easy hike up Waynapicchu compared to our first hike, just in time to have lunch and truly enjoy the splendid scenery. It was tough to even leave the mountain but we knew there was lots more exploring to do. So we headed back down to enjoy each individual part of the ruins. The Garden house, the main temple, 3 windows, the Sun Rock (a rock that helps them keep a calendar of season and dates, along with its similarity to the surrounding 4 mountains), the main square, sacred rock, condor temple, plus much more. History, upon theories of it being not only a lost city, but possibly a univeristy or a school due to the high numbers of female mummies they originally found. Incroyable!


So by 4:30pm, after most tourist had gone, we were able to take a few more pictures and reluctantly leave Machu Picchu, this time by bus. We spent the evening over mexican food, and good night sleep after our early morning rise. It was up again, the next day for our 8am train ride back to Aguas to catch another bus to Ollanta and then back to Cusco. Our train ride was filled with entertainment from a traditional dancer, to even a fashion show! They sure know what the tourist want at 8am in the morning :)

But a wonderful time we had, through the Sacred Valley and in Beautiful Macchu Picchu!! Highly recommended for anyone and everyone! :)

Posted by BrookesSeb 20:25 Archived in Peru Comments (0)

Cusco and the Sacred Valley, Peru

Making our own Inca trails...

sunny 20 °C
View South American Summer on BrookesSeb's travel map.

Our arrival in Peru was an interesting one. From Copacabana, we caught a bus where we stopped both at the border crossing and in Puno. Our border crossing consisted of everyone getting out of the bus, getting their exit stamps from Bolivia, and then literally, walking across the border. Down a dirt path, through a gate, and there we were, Welcome to Peru! haha So we got our entry stamps about a half of mile walk on the other side, jumped back on the bus and made our way to Puno.

Although Puno, was one of those stops we really hoped to get in, our time unfortunately was running short, and we were of course anxious to get to Machu Pichhu. So we skipped the island stay with locals, to catch the next bus to Cuzco - about 6 hours more. In the end, it gave us more time, both in cusco, and the local towns and ruins in the area. Aside from all the tourists, and tourists traps (ie. expensive restaurants, ect), Cuzco is a beautiful city, full of history. We arrived a day before their national day, and so lots of excitement was in the air. Upon our arrival, we grabbed a cab to our pick of hostel for the night, but unfortunately it was full, like the other 4 places we tried - the city was literally packed. So we found a nice ma and pa place, close to the center, for a reasonable price and sweet owners. We were lucky to find the place, since they helped us get ¨less¨ ripped off by the taxi driver. Jerk. But we learned our lesson quickly! And they were kind enough to tell him where to go. haha

The next day was spent enjoying the city in the warm sun, a wonderful breakfast at our new favorite place, Victor Victoria`s and looking for the best tour prices around Machu Picchu. We decided on a city tour for the following day since we figured most of the city would be closed being it a holiday. That consisted of sight seeing the magnificent cathedral, with large paintings by Native Peruvians incorporating both catholic (Spanish influence) and native religion. The paintings, although symbolic of catholism also have the underlying symbolism of native religion, including sacred mountains and such, representing their spirituality and openess to other religions ie. Judaism. Very interesting when you look at it closely! Then on to San Fransisco, the most important place for the Incas as it was their sacrifical area. The rest of the afternoon was spent at local ruins and the Llama market.

Upon searching for Machu Pichu treks, or day hikes in the area, we discovered, that we could do it on our own, for less money since our funds have been diminishing quickly, and better yet, on our own time, seeing more of the path less travelled. (Or so we hoped, there were still significant amounts of tourists). Nonetheless, we made our way by bus first, to Pisco. A small town in the sacred valley where we did a day hike to the local ruins. Truly beautiful, and wonderful way to spend the afternoon, but only a taste of what was to come at Machu Picchu! So the small town was filled by day with tourist, and by night, only by a few brave backpackers, and the locals. We ended up eating two dinners that evening because our cine (full dinner with soup, meal and desert) for all of about $1.50 didn´t do the job. For a bit more money, we decided to have a second meal at the blue Llama. haha

The next morning, we caught a collectivo to Urubumba. This was our favorite of the 3 towns in the Sacred valley because we saw maybe one other tourist. (Perhaps just luck?) Either way, the afternoon we arrived, we decided to try the local Municipal building for tourist information, or even just a map of the area. We ended up coming across one of our most favorite people in all of our travels, Lupe. A lovely, friendly and English speaking Peruvian woman, who worked in the municipal building and seemed to know everyone! She was so happy to help us in whatever way possible, she made sure we didn´t leave her sight before we got the information we needed. She called all her friends, gave us addresses, good places to eat, and made sure we didn`t over pay for anything! Such a sweet woman, and she actually works with ¨Kindness in Action¨ along side many Canadians. And so our first afternoon, we got in touch with Pro Peru. An organization that allows tourist to take part in local trades such as handicrafs, textiles, ceramics, and even chocolate making! So we were excited about spending some time getting to truly know the culture. We opted for all 3 and had an excellent time, seeing the village people and being welcomed by them, to learn and appreciate what they do everyday. Our favorite was the ceramics since we each got down and dirty to make a peice of pottery! We`re pros now! haha

The next day, we checked in with Lupe again about getting around to Moray, Maras and the Salineras. All of these places, were close to the city, but apparently not within hiking distance. So she called a friend, got us a cheap taxi and we made our way through the ruins and Salineras. Moray was probably the most striking as it looks like and outdoor amphitheatre. Rings around rings of land, that were thought to be used for farming at different altitudes. Very strange, but likely genious! haha Then the salineras, which are such a sight, even if I´m not sure what they are used for. But it made for great scenery on our hike down the mountain to meet up with our taxi driver, before heading off to Ollantaytambo (or simply Ollanta).

Ollanta is the tourist hub for catching the train to Augas Calientes, the main starting point for Machu Picchu. The town is built within and around old inca ruins. Narrow streets in a valley surrounded by towering mountains. We got in later in the afternoon, got a bed for the night and walked around for bit before crashing for the night. We wanted to get up bright and early to do the ruins before catching our 12pm train ride to Aguas. So that we did, with the sunrise, we were making our way up the mountain to the 10 windows, the condor temple, and down to the princess bath. Really beautiful set behind the town and so lovely at such an hour without the crowds. So a quick trek, breakfast and then on to the backpacker train taking us to the mecca of it all, about an hour to Aguas Calientes. Completely overpriced, and over run by school groups and poor backpackers trying to get to machu picchu, we were finally inches away from the Magical place! We were like kids in a candy store, so very excited!

  • Side Notes*

- We had a lovely flute player that followed us around the ruins in Pisco. It was nice for a while, but he didn`t leave us alone, playing the same 3 songs over and over. lol
- Cuy or guinea pig is not a pet, but one of Peru´s favorite meals. eeek
- The traditional dress is much more colorful here than in Bolivia, bowler hats, with full pleated skirts and sparkly shawls.
- During one of our Almuerzos, some nice locals sat down with us and starting chatting. Since everyone was served the same thing, we asked what we were eating. Bad idea! The locals, in their broken Spanish explained that we were eating cow feet! eeew!

Posted by BrookesSeb 18:14 Archived in Peru Comments (0)

Copacabana and Lake Titicaca - Bolivia

The last of Bolivia...

sunny 17 °C
View South American Summer on BrookesSeb's travel map.

Back to La Paz after the wonderful Pampas trip, we spent one night at the Brewery hostel, where they actually brew their own beer. One free beer on the house for each guest! Sweet! It was great place to come back to, order some pizza and just relax. The next morning, we got up to catch our collectivo to Copacobana, situated on Lake Titicaca. Lake Titicaca is the highest navigable lake in the world, although according to both Chile and Peru, they have higher. Its home to a few islands, including some floating islands and is considered the most sacred lake in the Andes due to beleifs that it was the birth place of the Inka Dynasty.

The lake itself is the brightest of blue and is set in the most breath taking scenery. A gorgeous drive at that, along the mountain side and then we eventually came to the fairy terminal. This meant that we, hopped on one boat to cross the water while our bus, and backpacks, were on another. We were anxious to see if our luggage would make it, and luckily it did. From the opposite side, we got back on to the bus for another hour or so to arrive in sunny Copacobana. Situated right on Lake Titicaca, its considered a resort town (not really), but we lucked out and got a hostel room over looking the lake, and evening sunsets! I know we usually only mention the nice hostel rooms, but trust me, we`ve had our share or dungeons and musty holes in the wall.lol So we were happy with our budget choice and spent the evening having dinner with Lisa and Jeff at a local restaurant. The food was ok, but what was really interesting was the evening entertainment. Its common for ppl to simply walk in off the street and ask if they can play a tune or too for the dining guest. That evening, two ¨hippies¨ walk in and started making a racket (it was definitely not music), but it gave us a good laugh, while we enjoyed the rest of our meal.

The following day we got everything in order for our day trip to Isla del Sol (Sun Island), and arranged buses to get into Peru. We hiked up Cerro Calvario where they bless miniature objects in order to receive them in the future (ie. money, housing, cars, ect). The hike up was tough, but the views at the top made it well worth it. Overlooking both Copacobana, and Lake titicaca, it was a great way to spend the evening and catch some rays.

The following day we jumped on an unfortunately very slow boat- about 2 hours to the northern part, to get Isla del Sol. We hiked up to some ruins located about 45 min away, including a sacred rock and sacrificing table. The plan was to hike the rest of the island to the south, but according to guidebooks and locals, it would have taken us 3 hours, and that would have meant missing the last boat. So Sebastian was brave enough to attempt the hike, while Lisa Jeff and I, tooke the lazy mans route, hopped back on the boat and made our way to the south, hoping it would give us more time to see the south of the Island. Sure enough, Sebastian was there waiting for us, as it only took him 2 hours, and we would have had lots of time to do the whole island. Either way, it was a great way to see one of the famous islands on the Lake. The Island still has local people farming, using donkeys, and Llamas. There were beautiful ruins, even a museum in the north with Inka skulls.eek haha So we caught the last boat back late afternoon, had a quick stop at the floating islands made of straw, and headed back to Copacobana for our last night in Bolivia. A great steak and trout meal was had, and then a good night sleep for our long bus ride to cusco the next day!

Posted by BrookesSeb 16:22 Archived in Bolivia Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 5 of 5) Page [1]